Another legend has gone...



Rapper Pimp C, an influential hip-hop figure credited with helping launch the popularity of Southern rap, was found dead Tuesday morning at an upscale hotel on the Sunset Strip.

Los Angeles County Fire Department paramedics responding to a 911 call found the 33-year-old native of Port Arthur, Texas, lying on his bed at the Mondrian Hotel in West Hollywood.

"It appears that he died naturally," said Capt. Ed Winter of the county coroner's office. "There were no signs of trauma, no signs of drug paraphernalia."

An investigation is pending.

Pimp C, whose real name was Chad Butler, was a member of the Texas hip-hop duo UGK, which scored a No. 1 album earlier this year.


I will admit that I am not a fan of a great deal of what comes from the South these days, but UGK were one of those groups that had it and I enjoyed a lot of their material...especially the Too Hard To Swallow (1992) and Ridin Dirty (1996) albums.

Bun B
has lost his partner in rhyme and a good, close friend and Hip Hop has lost yet another rap legend.

I admired Pimp C for his straight up way and telling it like it is and he had an amusing rant earlier this year going hard at Lil Troy and so many others...damn it....if it wasn't for cats like Pimp C a lot of the clones wouldn't have careers.

read it here

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z140/ghubacek/ozonepimpc.jpg

His death has affected a great deal of people all around the World and my good friend George heard the news from me via text and said that Hip Hop was finished and that he was shattered..

I was at George's place a while ago and we rocked some UGK on his fat system and I have fond memories of that night, I remember getting a dub of the banned tape years ago and used to play that a lot,my Dad hated it when my bedroom door was open though.

UGK's music was made for riding and getting high too, I can recall some years with a UGK tape in a friends stereo while the bass thumped in the back and Pimp and Bun's southern flows just sounded so dope over the sometimes minimal but effective production.

Pimp's My Space page has been flooded with RIP and sad comments from fans and forums all over have been shocked and dismayed at his passing, most fearing that it was a murder.

It's just so sad and senseless that after so many years of hard work and great records, The UGK finally have a number one album with their 7th album Underground Kingz this year and now Pimp C has gone... off to join the long,long, long list of fallen Hip Hop legends.

RIP Pimp C and thanks for the dope music and being a straight up and real dude...you will be sadly missed.

http://www.myspace.com/pimpcofugk

http://www.discogs.com/artist/UGK

Here is some UGK, make sure you have a fat system to feel those bass drops...

UGK-Choppin Blades
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M30OXQ3K

UGK & Outkast-International Players Anthem
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S86WIOYY

UGK-Wood Wheel
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1CV4TFKL


UGK ft Big Daddy Kane & Kool G Rap-Next Up (Produced by Marley Marl)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GCJTG27A

Peace





3 comments:

Natalia said...

Hey Jaz,

It's Natalia from Natty Rebels. I wanted to let you know that we just did a feature in my university newspaper (University of Texas at Austin- The Daily Texan) about music blogs and I wrote a blurb about C.R.D.S. The article came out in the paper today, and it looks way cooler in the print version, with a screen shot of your page and everything, but at the least you can read the thing here:

http://media.www.dailytexanonline.com/media/storage/paper410/news/2007/12/06/LifeArts/Music.Blogs.Serve.Diverse.Tastes-3135954.shtml

Have a good one!!
-Natty

Unknown said...

Natty,

That is awesome, thanks so much, I would really appreciate a copy of the paper to hold onto, please e-mail me at coldrockdaspot@hotmail.com

Next year I plan on doing T-Shirts and Caps, I am serious too.

:D

Doctor Okeh said...

R.I.P. PIMP "C"

Update

Peace The JMS blog is officially closed and I won't be returning to it, it definitely had a good 11 years or so run but it just s...