phewww... a somewhat definitive list of the infamous Skull Snaps break...Updated:



Skull Snaps-It's A New Day (1973)
http://sharebee.com/bf7f47a7

What's good party people...my peoples...my peoples...

There was a really dope interview with the human music library Scholar at WYDU this week

http://wakeyourdaughterup.blogspot.com/2007/11/interview-with-blogger-part-four-souled.html


...and he got me thinking about something that I have wanted to tackle for a while, exactly how many times have the legendary thumping drums and hi hats from the Skull Snap's "It's A New Day" been used? (hell even I used it on some demos back in 92)

If you would like some background check out this info

http://thelowendtheory.blogspot.com/2005/05/oh-snap.html

and here at the great Soul-Sides with the Music Master that is O-Dub

http://soul-sides.com/2006/04/on-road-again.html



and yes indeed Dooley-O discovered the break...

http://thelowendtheory.blogspot.com/search?q=Skull+Snaps

My ear seems trained to find it now, I noticed a track the other day and said to myself, that is definitely a chop of the drums in there and then laughed and said oh shit...it's on now B (not out loud of course).

I know there is a big list at http://www.the-breaks.com but there are a lot of omissions as well.

I have set off on this mission and won't stop until I get them all, so please add any I have missing from this list and next year I will start doing compilations with the ones that you want.

Sound good or Hip Hop Nerdom at it's finest?




100x-Belly Of Hell
Alkaholiks-Bullshit (1993)
Baby Chill-I Pimped The Nun (1993)
Bell Biv Devoe-Gangsta (1993)
Black Poets-The Hand That Robs The Cradle(1993)
Blue Boy-Remember Me (1997)
Boss-Run, Catch and Kill (1992)
Bro-NX-Who You Be (1993) (original and remix)

Brother Arthur-What Ya Gonna Do (
Brother Shams-Teach The Youth The Truth (1991)
Bulldog Breaks - It's a New School Day
Camp Lo-Cooley High(1995)
Capital Tax-I Can't Believe It (B'Lee Dat Mix) (1993)
Chaka Demus & Pliers-Murder She Wrote (Remix)(1993)
Common Sense-Blows To The Temple (1992)
Cornershop - State Troopers (pt 1)
Craig Mack-Real Raw, Shinika (1994)
Craz-It's On (1994)
Da King and I-Krak Da Weasel (1993)
Das EFX-Bak N Effek (CMT Remix), Rappaz(1993)
Das EFX-Mic Checka, East Coast (1992)
Da Nabahood Threat-Coming From Da Dirt (1994)

Da Phlayva-Triple Threat Medly
Da Youngstas-The Aftermath (1993)
Diamond D-Sally Got A One Track Mind (1992)
DJ 20/20 & Mysterme-Unsouled Mysterme (1992)
DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince-Twinkle Twinkle (1994)
DJ Shadow-What Does Your Soul Look Like, Pt 3 (1995)
DJ Spooky-Anansi Abstrakt (1996)
Dooley-O-Watch My Moves (1990)
Double X-Ruff, Rugged & Raw (1995)
Dred Scott-The Story, They Don't Know (1993)
Dysfunkshunal Familee-New Ruff Flava (Remix)
Empty Pockets-Struggles From The Days (1993)
EPMD-Can't Hear Nothing But The Music (1992)
Erick B & Rakim-Step Back (1992)

Father MC-Wiggle (1993)
Finsta Bundy ft Apani B-Keep Me High
Figure Uv Speech-Ready 2 Wreck (1993)
Figure Uv Speech-Girls Love The Jam (1993)
Fugitives From Hell-Peace 2 My N's (1993)
Gangstarr-Take It Personal (1992)
God Lives Underwater - Fly on the Windscreen
Gravediggaz - "Mommy, What's a Gravedigga?(1994)
Guru - Choice of Weapons (1995)
Grimm Reaper-So Whatcha Want....(1993)
Heavy D - It's a New Day (1992)
Hieroglyphics - All Things (1998)
Hoodratz-Ms Crabtree (1993)
Hurricane Gee ft Redman-Milky (unreleased)
Ice-T-That's How I'm Livin' (1993)
Illegal - Head or Gut,If U Want It (1993)
Illegal - Lights, Camera, Action (1993)
Ill Biskits-Beyond Understanding (1994)
Intelligent Hoodlum - Grand Groove (Remix) (1993)
INI-Keep On (unreleased) (1995)
Johhny P-Gal Man (1993)
JVC Force-6 Feet Back On The Map (1992)
Kam-Peace Treaty (1992)
Kool G Rap & Polo-On The Run (Remix) (1992)
Kruder & Dorfmeister - Deep Shit pt. 1 & pt. 2 (1995)
K-Solo-Letterman (Pete Rock Remix) (1995)
Lifers Group-Short Life Of A Gangsta (Organized Konfusion Mix)
Lords of the Underground - Funky Child (1992)
Lords of the Underground - Keepers of the Funk (1994)
Luke Vibert - I Hear the Drummer
Madd Blunted-Deadly and Dangerous (1994)
MadKap - Da Whole Kit & Kaboodle (1993)
MadKap - Irrelevant (1993)
Main One-Pauze 2 Da Drama (1995)
Marley Marl-Its All Real
Melquan-Krunch Time (1994)
Method Man-Problem
Mexakinz-Buckwhyle Style (1994)
MF Doom - Who You Think I Am? (1999)
Misfits of Madness-Peace The Hell Out (Tech's Mix) (1994)
Mr. Lif - New Man Theme (2002)
Mr Low Kash & The Shady Bunch-Play Time Is Over (1995)
Morrisette,Alanis-Still
Naked Funk - Pearls of Compassion
Naughty by Nature - Knock 'Em out Da Box,Written On Ya Kitten (QD III remix) (1993)
Nikki D - Your Man is My Man (1991)
Nubian Crackers ft Artifacts-Do You Wanna Hear It (1993)
ODB - Hippa to da Hoppa (1995)
Onyx - Da Mad Face Invasion, Throw Ya Gunz (1993)
Onyx - Getdafukout (1993)
Organized Konfusion - Who Stole My Last Piece of Chicken? (1991)
Original Flavor-Keep On Searching (1993)
Pacewon and Mr Green-Hip Hop (2008)
Peanut Butter Wolf - I Will Always Love H.E.R (1996)
Pete Rock ft Styles P & Sheek Louch-914(2006)
Pharcyde - Passin' Me By (1992)
Prodigy - Poison (1995)
Public Enemy - How to Kill a Radio Consultant (1992)
Pudgee The Phat Bastard-Checkin Out The Ave (Remix) (1993)
Redman - Watch Yo Nuggets (1992)
Rob D - Clubbed to Death
Ruff Draf-Rounda (1994)
Ruggedness Madd Drama-Big Boyz

Rumpletilskinz-Attitudes (1993)
Saafir - Grab the Train (1994)
Sermon, Erick-Hittin Switches, The Ill Shit,Stay Real (Remix) (1993)
Shadz of Lingo - Ill and Get Clowned (1993)
Shazzy-Giggahoe (Beatnuts Remix)
Showbiz & A.G. - Silence of the Lambs (1992)
Soul Survivors-We Rock The Mic (2000)
Stezo - It's My Turn (1989)
Super Lover Cee & Cassanova Rud-This Dubs For U (1993)

Total Devastation-Hemp Rally (1993)
The Henchmen-Come On (1994)
Tim Dog - I'll Wax Anybody (1991)
Trife-Guaranteed Rec (1995)
Ultramagnetic MCs - One, Two, One, Two (1993)
Ultramagnetic MCs - Two Brothers with Checks (1993)
Underground Mafia-Caught Up In The System (Down Low) (1992)
Vivienne McKone - Beware (1992)
Wascals - Hard Rhymes (1993)
Whatnoxic-Perveert Mode (1995)
Yaggfu Front - My Dick is So Large (1994)
Yaggfu Front-Slappin Suckas (Diamond D Remix)(1995)
Yall So Stupid-Dirt Road White Girl (1993)



11 comments:

Natalia said...

This is so cool! Ambitious idea.

I found your blog a few weeks ago, and it's on my reader now. How did I live without it?????

I esp. loved the 90s videos, Souls of Mischief, damn, I think I'll go listen to that right now! You are tight!

And if you want to, please check out my fledging, new style blog:
www.nattyrebels.com

Unknown said...

heh word ambitious is a good way to describe it, my mind library is clocking over time and I wake up at night and think of some more and make sure I have a pen and pad handy...LOL.

I enjoy it, thanks for the kind comment and I will check and add your blog to my links.

Peace

Travis said...

Leave it to you my man to come up with that list...good shit man.

Unknown said...

Haha cheers Trav, I have got myself in Skull Snaps mania...you will end up finding me locked up in a padded cell, repeating,I swear that Ice T used it...haha

Anonymous said...

Here are some more Tracks using it.


Erick Sermon - Hittin' Switches
Intelligent Hoodlum - Grand Groove (Remix)
Erick Sermon - The Ill Shit
Marley Marl - It's All Real
Eric B. & Rakim - Step Back
Method Man - Problem
EPMD - Can't Hear Nothing But The Music

Unknown said...

EPMD - Can't Hear Nothing But The Music
Eric B. & Rakim - Step Back
Erick Sermon - Hittin' Switches
Erick Sermon - The Ill Shit

i had those there and they have gone, that is crazy...thanks for the others.

I need to find out what is going on..

Unknown said...

ahhh I see, I deleted those by accident and have Erick Sermon under, Sermon, Erick.

Maze@DiggersSpot said...

yo fam,
i got that malo duck duck gooose 12" you're requesting....hook me up, one

Unknown said...

Thanks Maze, I will do that, that is dope news.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Update

Peace The JMS blog is officially closed and I won't be returning to it, it definitely had a good 11 years or so run but it just s...