Gang Starr-The Remixes, The B-Sides and The Rest and other Bits...


DJ Premier (Chris Martin) and Guru (Keith Elam), imagine if we never had these two veterans, honestly can you?... There would be a massive dent in your rap collection but you know what?...I can't imagine it, because the Gang Starr imprint is etched into my mind until I die, horns, precise cuts, bass,perfectly chopped samples, loops, drums,strings, a deep and monotone symphonic vocal tone, pianos, guitars,influential, hooks,innovation, vocal cuts and dazzling and superior scratching displays.

All of those words are what I think of when I think about Gang Starr, I will never understand why the ill duo never went double platinum or had sales go through the roof...this is Hip Hop, Gang Starr are Hip Hop and always will be...when people ask me who my favourites are or who I still listen to, I can guarantee you that when I list them off Gang Starr are one of the first to leave my lips.


For those that don't know the back story of Gang Starr check the Wikipedia link below and it will tell you everything you need to know.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_Starr


I feel privileged to have lived through the Gang Starr era, not from the very beginning but from getting a CD single of 'Jazz Thing' in 1990 and when the brilliant Step In The Arena dropped and I remember my man Big Daddy Cam (BDC) sending over a dub (cassette) of the album from his vinyl because he got it in Australia first...well long before us anyway that's for sure

The MVC Posse and I played tracks off it from the tape on air on the Wednesday Nite Jam and we were in awe at the whole tape, I remember hearing that the spot to get imports The Soul MIne (RIP) had got it in on tape, CD and LP along with the 12"'Just To Get A Rep'

That was a happy day and my Gang Starr tape was never far from my reach after that, I learned all of the rhymes and held DJ Premier as my favourite producer from that album, I wanted more and went and spoke to a friend at another record store if he knew of them, he was all hell yeah and asked me if I had the first album.

I looked at him with wide eyes and said "the first album?", he told me about No More Mr Nice Guy and I told him that I remembered seeing that listed in Tim Westwood's NME Top Hip Hop 20 and it was on a wish list and more than likely I had heard earlier tracks on the Weds Nite Jam show.

But I only had recordings from taping the show,man back in those days I used to make compilation tapes from tracks I recorded off radio and would title them er...Thatz Def and Raw Power Raps and things of that nature.

Luckily for me the record store my friend worked at was getting imports in the next week and by the following Friday I was $45 poorer but now had Gang Starr's Wild Pitch album in my hands (and still do :D ).

I put it on and realized I had heard a few tracks before but listening to the album in it's entirety was a dope listening experience and I thought Guru sounded the same but really young and I could hear DJ Premier being influenced by the great Marley Marl on this album.

Gang Starr have consistently released dope material time and time again, sure some of the tracks differ in quality (I still think some people hated on The Ownerz unfairly) but that happens to every artist in a long career, we all know that Guru does not have the same impact on his solo albums, as he does with Preem behind him as well.

Who knows if there ever will be another Gang Starr album, DJ Premier is still murdering it behind the boards and behind the wheels of steels and Guru still has some solid releases now and then, I recently had to do a Top 25 Beats of all time at the infamous When They Reminisce site and included "The Illest Brother" and I wasn't the only one...

http://whentheyreminisce.blogspot.com

you should read all of the lists...

I would like to state that the list I did it over there isn't really an official one, I'm happy with most of it, but would re-do it if I was asked to.

Okay, so what have I got for you good readers?, well...I thought it was a dope idea to do a compilation with their non album tracks,remixes, b-sides and the rest and yep I am sure others have done this before...but this is the Cold Rock Da Spot one and yours if you send me an e-mail (by the way the reason I do this, is so I can get to know my readers and to annoy the leeches...haha)

gang starr-the remixes,b-sides and the rest


1. flip the script (minor adjustment remix)-produced by dj premier-(1992)
2. bust a move boy-produced by the 45 king-(1987)
3. positivity (remix)-
produced by dj premier-(1989)
4. ex girl to next girl(remix)-produced by dj premier-(1992)
5. check the technique (remix)-produced by dj premier-(1991)
6. so wassup-produced by dj premier-(1997)
7. natural-produced by dj premier-(2002)
8. all 4 the cash-produced by dj premier-(1999)
9. the squeeze-produced by dj premier-(2001)
10.battle-produced by dj premier-(2002)
11.credit is due-produced by dj premier-(1991)
12. jazz thing (movie mix)-produced by dj premier-(1990)
13. gotta get over (large pro remix)- (radio)-(1992)
14.
here's the proof-produced by dj premier & guru-(1989)
15. believe dat-produced by dj 1 2 b down and guru-(1987)
16. no more mr nice guy (remix)-produced by dj premier-(1989)
17. the question remainz-produced by dj premier-
18. the militia (pete rock remix)-(1998)
19.
it's a jazz thing (video mix)-produced by dj premier-(1990)
20.
2 deep (may we get a bit deeper remix)-produced by dodge & ig culture-(1992)

coldrockdaspot@hotmail.com

Special thanks to Stylus

and...

Uncle Travis is feeling burnt out (lol)
http://wakeyourdaughterup.blogspot.com/2007/08/links-links-and-more-links.html

Dart Adams is straight killing it on the writing tip yet again
http://poisonousparagraphs.blogspot.com/2007/08/whats-new-in-darts-ipod-3-aka-back-in.html
http://poisonousparagraphs.blogspot.com/2007/08/top-50-non-hip-hop-songs-of-80s-that.html

The Goldmine aka Bust The Facts celebrating one year...congrats Jimmy and Dread, Happy Anniversary
http://bustthefacts.blogspot.com/2007/08/exactly-1-year-btf-forum.html

Grandwizard Robbie E
is feeling the re-issues
http://www.unkut.com/2007/08/three-times-repress

No, I loved the Pharcyde...sorry Robbie and I dig The Wascals too...each to their own though b

Diggin In Da (Indie) Crates
seem to have endless crates and I am not complaining
http://indie-cratez.blogspot.com

Special shout out to DJ Cosm, get better soon B and lastly, please sign up at our Pete Rock forum
http://peterocksp1200.16.forumer.com/index.php






The chain represents unity amongst struggle. The links represents the link we all have through struggling. The star represents the power of the music and the power of the creativity that shines through all of the adversity


























12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peace

my first GangStarr memory is watching the "Positivity" video on Yo! MTV Raps and being awestruck like "word! this is dope!"
little did I know that these 2 would carry me all through High School (Step, Daily, and Hard To Earn) and become one of my favorites of all time
Primo is killin it on his Sirius satellite show and podcast
Guru, I don't know, I think there's a Jazzmatazz 4 out
Here's hopin to another album

Anonymous said...

I approve of anything that gets people to listen to Gang Starr. Great post as always.

http://hiphopisntdead.blogspot.com

Dart Adams said...

Once again, great work Jaz! I appreciate the links as well. I couldn't find about half of these anywhere! One.

Patrick Lovelace said...

what up jaz, dope work as usual

i'll hit you on email for a link

--lamplighter

Anonymous said...

"No, I loved the Pharcyde"

That's what I said.

turtle

Travis said...

Funny, I liked Gang Starr's first two albums but never bought them...for some odd reason. Then I heard "Take It Personal", which I believe was the first single from "Daily Operation" and I've gobbled up anything they've done sense.

Funky D said...

Ill mix, Jaz. I haven't heard alot of these. You dug up a bunch of gems here, that remix of "Ex Girl" is niiice.

Anonymous said...

I first heard Words I Manifest back in 89 while in high school. My buddy had the tape so i took it home and dubbed it. I was hooked ever since then. I have all of their albums and I prefer the imports due to occasional bonus tracks. I collect Gang Starr albums and songs so I would jump at the chance to get more. I actually have a couple that are kind of rare but I need those remixes.

Anyway, I glad to finally find a Gang Starr community. Besides Nas, I ain't checkin' for no other MC's. man let's keep this blog going.

Olskool4real said...

Yeah Words that I manifest I remember one night watching the videos, you see kids back then all the BET stuff wasn't in place we had small local channels that would play 1/2 hour or so segments of videos maybe an interview or 2. The biggest thing then was Dees Pump it up but this was a regular local station.It caugth me by suprise I liked the track the way it came on then that little jazzy melody set in and I was bobbing then this cat (Guru) delivered these smooth tyope lyrics over the track and okay I must admit I thought he was trying to sound like Rakim but nah!!I didn't hear much from this album until later in my years and I'm glad I did because that album wasn't that bad it was completely overlooked as that year all soughts of talent was coming out.

I copped Step in the arena because Check the Technique is one of the hypest hip hop songs there is that beat is combustable man!! But what really made me respet the Guru was how he rode over the rhythmn of the Jazz Thing which is one of my favorites on the soundtrack to Mo Better Blues, he killed it 4 real.

I can go on Jaz because Premier and th Guru are a couple of my favorite people in hip hop then and today they have always brough that street sound to the plate.Each time we revisit Premiers resume, I be damn when do they crown him man!! LOL Peace

Olskool4real said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

great post, especially as it seems they might not be releasing anything else. hard to believe i never used to care for guru's voice - how wrong i was. these two are one of the few consistently dope groups in hip-hop, good work Jaz

Unknown said...

Man I hope Guru is able to pull through what he's goin through what he's goin through right now. He's one fo my favorite MC's of all time. DON'T LEAVE US WIT THESE CANDY ASS RAPPERS GURU! Fight that shit!

Update

Peace The JMS blog is officially closed and I won't be returning to it, it definitely had a good 11 years or so run but it just s...