Peace to Howie Tee...Good Looking Gee...


Yo Howie...Hit Me...!!!




The English born Howard Thompson is a DJ, keyboard player, drum programmer, arranger and production whiz... The infamous Hitman Howie Tee was first part of an electro crew called CDIII way back in 1983 and they released the single Get Tough, I remember taping this from an old Uncut Funk Show on Radio Active 89 FM in the 80’s but had no idea that Howie Tee was behind it.

CDIII also released the singles Summer Jam and Success in 1984, I am not sure what part Howie played in this group, but I know that he never rhymed so he was probably the DJ and played keyboards. Next up Howie was doing some cuts and scratches for a track titled Roxanne’s Back Side which was from some group named UTFO and the B-Side off some single called Roxanne, Roxanne in 1984 which of course in turn gave Hip Hop The Roxanne Wars.


Around this time Howie helped produce Old School pioneers The Crash Crew’s 2-4-6-8 Here We Are in 1985.

UTFO:
(Kangol Kid, The Educated Rapper,Doc Ice and Mixmaster Ice)

The Crash Crew:
(DJ Daryll C ( R.I.P ), G Man , La Shubee , Barry Bistro , EK Mike C and Reggie Reg)



The same year that he did the cuts on The Real Roxanne’s Romeo and helped in the writing process and played keyboards for Full Force’s debut album after great success with the single Alice, I Want You Just For Me.

This was also this year that The Kangol Kid (UTFO) decided to form a production company with Howie Tee and they produced the seminal Whistle (DJ Silver Spinner Jazzy Jazz, Kool Doobie (a.k.a. KD) and Kraze) and their timeless hit (Nothing Serious) Just Buggin, although it was first released in 1985 (on Select Records)

Whistle: (Jazzy Jazz, Kool Doobie, DJ Silver Spinner, Kraze)



It was in 1986 when it really took off as did The Real Roxanne’s Bang Zoom Let’s Go, a record responsible for hundreds and hundreds of cuts throughout DJ battles and rap records over the years.

The Real Roxanne:



http://www.discogs.com/artist/Real+Roxanne%2C+The

Howie was also heavily involved in the mixing and programming on the UTFO album Skeezer Pleezer and he did a remix for the track Split Personality and also scratched on Bad Self and The Rappin Lords from The Rappin Lords in 1986.

Howie and The Kangol Kid ended up producing the self titled Whistle LP together in 1986 and the Transformation album in 1988 to moderate success, Whistle tried to make it into the 90’s, but the Bad Habit 12” in 1990 didn’t sell too well and they tried again and had their 1992 track I Am remixed by The Trackmasterz.

During 1987 Howie and Chubb produced Seeborn and Puma’s They Call Me Puma, Little Shawn’s Heartbreak Hotel, E.S.P.’s Back Rappin, and Barbara’s Bedroom for Whistle.


Chubb Rock:



1987 was also the debut of The Jamaican born but Brooklyn raised Big Man himself the mighty Chubb Rock, who first gave us Rock N Roll Dude in 1987 and followed with his debut album, Chubb Rock-"Chubb Rock Featuring Hitman Howie" Tee released in 198.

It had a dedication song to Howie from his cousin Chubb in the form of DJ Innovator (which was also the first to sample Gwen Mcrae’s Rocking Chair)

The album also got a lot of recognition from Caught Up (and the remix) and soon Howie and Chubb were in the studio working on the follow up album.

1989’s …"And The Winner Is", which was produced mostly by Howie but Chubb had co-production duties on a few tracks…"And The Winner Is" gave the Chubbster fans the classic Ya Bad Chubbs.



 1988 saw Howie produce beats for The Real Roxanne (Respect, Look But Don't Touch  Early Early, Her Bad Self and Don’t Even Feel It) and Chubb Rock produced and featured on "Gear" and produced most of her 1992 "Go Down (But Don't Bite It)" album.

E.S.P. (Wild Thing and Get Up and Get Wid It, We Got It) and Izzy Ice and DJ Majesty’s SoulmanIzzy Ice and DJ Majesty later changed their name to Da King & I and released a dope album on Rowdy records in 1993.




After Chubb became a name people were talking about, Tee set about unleashing the kid that was "kinda young" but his "tongue spoke maturity" when he was only 16 and attending studio sessions after he would finish school at Erasmus Hall in Brooklyn, of course I am talking about the one and only Edward Archer aka  


Special Ed:



Howie gave Ed some much deserved success and his name in Hip-Hop history books by producing his first album 1989’s classic "Youngest In Charge" which spawned the timeless singles I Got It Made, Think About It, I'm The Magnificent and The Bush however for some of 1990’s "Legal" album (the cover was to cash in on his mass appeal with the Ladies), Special Ed himself was actually behind the boards for.

I'm The Magnificent (The Magnificent Remix) -Ya Wish Ya Could -5 Men And A Mic (ft Little Shawn, 40 Love, Akshun and Coolie Man) -See It Ya (with his brother Drew)

With Howie Tee supplying the ill beats and loops on...

Come On, Let's Move It and the remix The Mission and the remix ,Ya Not So Hot,Ready 2 Attack Livin' Like A Star and I’m Special Ed (co-production)

After the "Legal" album, Ed bought himself a "brand new car", "every other month" (ha ha) and didn’t return to the scene until 1995 with the good but slept on "Revelations" album and sadly Howie only produced Neva Go Back which was the first single and showed the ill chemistry they still had together.

So did the not very easy to obtain underground 12” in 1997 Think Twice (The B-Side On Some Next Shit was produced by Special Ed and featured Ed’s new but short lived crew the A.R.A.B.S.)

The same cannot be said with Ed’s disappointing "Still Got It Made" LP released in 2004, there were zero Howie Tee beats and only a couple of tracks that were worth checking for, this disappointed a lot of Ed fans and he hasn’t been heard from since, but with all of the comebacks these days and a Marley Marl and KRS ONE album ...anything is possible and we may get another Howie and Ed album in the future.

When The Hitman first bought his production skills into the 90’s he produced the Physical remix for eighties crew Rockmaster Scott & The Dynamic 3 (famous for the classics Request Line and The Roof is on Fire).

Three of Special Ed’s dope joints from the Legal album were given the remix treatment, Come On Let’s, Move It, The Mission and Think About It and Howie also produced for Father MC (remember him?).

Groove B Chill (who the film House Party was based on) hauled him in for the remix of Hip Hop Music on the Starting From Zero album and Howie was amongst production royalty like Pete Rock and Prince Paul (It's best not to ask about the album cover...ha ha)

Groove B Chill:
(DJ Belal, Groove and Chill (Daryl Mitchell)

Chubb Rock also released his biggest single in 1990, Treat Em Right and later followed with his dopest album and one of the best of that year...1991's The One, and Treat Em Right ended up on the Freddy's Dead soundtrack.

In 1991 he did a remix for Redhead Kingpin's It's A Love Thang (Word) and produced Heavy D & The Boyz I Can Make You Go Oooh and 3 tracks for E.S.P's oddly titled but fairly good "Valoompadoom Pink! Or Something Else Off The Wall" album.

NB: E.S.P. stood for their stage names...Elliot Ness,
Mr Speed and Professor Paul
 



This was also the year when Color Me Badd's I Wanna Sex you Up became a Worldwide hit and was featured on the New Jack City soundtrack (*Howie didn't produce the track but he mixed it)

1992 saw Little Shawn release his debut album the smooth and fat "Voice In The Mirror", after the first single Hickeys On My Chest blew up and even had Biggie(RIP) quoting lyrics from it in Party and Bullshit (off Who's The Man soundtrack-1993)

Little Shawn


 

Howie also produced 2 tracks for an Old School vet making an averagely successful comeback on Hammer's Bust It label (I will let you guess who that was) and a track for smooth R&B favourite Al B Sure on his "Sexy Verses" album.

Between 1994 and 1999, Howie Tee produced and/or remixed for Emage, Quo, Color Me Badd, Madonna, Patra, Diana King, the awesome young Hip Hop-Reggae star Lil Vicious and he also produced the original version of the dope Little Indian-One Little Indian (1995).

The 00's have been very quiet for Howie though and I hope we get another Howie and Ed album and Chubb and Howie album.

Lil Vicious:





Respect Due Hitman Howie Tee

Jaz

Many, many thanks to Bottomlesspedro, Fritz and Bad Character for helping me track down some much wanted tracks and remixes and a special thanks to...

Jayquan
http://www.jayquan.com/chubbrock.htm

B-Boys.com

www.bboy.com

Werner Von Wallenrod's Humble, Little Hip Hop Site

CRDS Presents_The_Hitman_Howie_Tee_Files_Volume_1

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ncsfmt

1. special ed - come on lets move it (remix) (1990)
2. little shawn - clap ya hands (1992)
3. chubb rock - the night scene (1991)
4. special ed - the mission (remix) (1990)
5. seeborn and puma - they call me puma (1997)
6. vicious - the glock (1994)
7. special ed - think twice (1997)
8. chubb rock - treat 'em right (org 12" version) (1990)
9. little shawn-yes he did leave the stage (1991)
10. e.s.p. - one,two,an a (1991)
11.father mc - father's day (1990)
12.chubb rock featuring hitman howie tee - caught up (remix) (1988)
13-little shawn- hickeys on your chest (1992)
14-little indian-one little indian ft. the foreigner (1995)
15-vicious- him never do it (1994)
16-e.s.p.-we got it (1988)
17-the crash crew - 2-4-6-8 [here we are] (1985)
18-the real roxanne with hitman howie- tee bang zoom (let's go) (1986)
19-whistle- just buggin' (nothing serious) (1985)
20-the real roxanne
with hitman howie-tee romeo-pt. 1 (1985)
21-chubb rock-the empire strikes back (remix) (1989)



The reason for this this post:

I feel that there is hardly any info out there about Howie and that is an injustice, just look at what he has done and who he has worked with...It would be all too easy to do massive posts about
DJ Premier, Pete Rock, Diamond D, Large Professor, Showbiz etc...because most have already been done and kids know those names.

If you enjoy this post, then I will work on other slept on producers in the future.

Thanks All
 
Peace

Jaz


















28 comments:

Unknown said...

yo jaz, you keep bringin that knowledge man... this blog conitinues to shine thru the mediocrity -- thnx for all that howie tee... for all us thirty-something b-boys

Jake said...

Thanks for the heads up on Howie Tee. I've heard of him, but I couldn't name a production credit of his if my life were on the line. I loved the two Erick Sermon mixes, and I'm sure this will be just as great. By the way, any chance we could get another TDK Fat Tape from you? That's been one of my favorites mixes this year.

HeRBaN LyRiX said...

Appreciate the knowledge you`ve dropped homie, ya definitely enligthened me! Got a quick question, is it true that the Lady Of Rage first worked with Chubb Rock under the alias Rockin` Robin of somethin` of that nature? Just curious, keep doin` ya` thing...


STaY BLeSS`n...

Unknown said...

No problem and thank you James, I'm just passing on what I know and love my friend.

one

Unknown said...

HeRBaN LyRiX ...you are welcome man, I honestly have not heard that before but according to Wikipedia...it does seem possible...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lady_of_Rage

Anonymous said...

Nuff respect on the write up king, howie laid tracks for two of my favourite mc's with yaad links: chubbs and ed, he deserves his props.
Always did like vance wright tracks, especially the first two slick rick albums, i doan know of anything else he did...how bout a write up?
Bless

Unknown said...

Thanks Anon...I appreciate it, as for your question...Vance Wright did some dope beats back in the day for Greyson and Jaysun, Slick Rick,The YG'z and Grand Puba and J Zone used to sit in the studio with him and learn the tricks of the trade.

I could mos def do a write up in the future...

one

DL said...

Dope post Jaz, I hadn't realised the full extent of Howie's influence.

Did Soulman... (later Da King & I) release anything? If so, you got any links? I'd love to hear that shit.

Keep on bro.

Dan

Unknown said...

What's good Dan?, Izzy Ice & DJ Majesty only released the "Soulman" single, from memory it was very poppy and sampled "I'm A Soulman"...I had the 45 once, but I don't have it anymore sorry.

Glad you enjoyed the post...

:)

Travis said...

Good stuff man, took the idea straight from head, but you did a better job than I would have been able to do. Keep killing it man.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for shining light on such a very important figure in Hip Hop. I am personally one of Howie's protoges. I am proud to say that because of the talented and stand up guy he really is!! I know that there are a few Howie Tee proteges running around , that is how key Howie is to this whole Hip Hop thing. Hopefully, Howie can get back into the swing of things and continue to bless us with more hits . Respect!!

Unknown said...

^That is ill, I am very curious to know who you are...please let Howie know about this if you can...

Exactly he is an important figure and that's why I did this, he doesn't get the shine he should.

Peace

Anonymous said...

He knows.

Olskool4real said...

It's excellent that a protege could respond wish we knew who you were, however I'm sure it's a good reason to remain anonymous. I just needed to say there are a couple of cuts that I didn't realize he had input in. It's funny how you can be one of the best hypes of the middle school and some shine in the new school and go unrecognized.I personally liked his earlier productions with the real roxanne Romeo, Bang Zoom, and Howies Teed off were a couple of my favorites, Chubb Rocks production was next on the album The Winner is that was major. I recently listened to that album and found more than just Caught up and You Bad Chubbs as Hits, this was a very underated album. Special Ed was one of a kind and Howie matched pace with him to expose his vocals very well.The other artist I ws clueless that he had anything to do with. I do have a question did he produce the entire Father's Day album or just that cut?Jaz this will raise a lot of eyebrows because I do remember howie and his contributions to hip hop and I too wonder why when we discuss earlier productions his name is not mentioned.

Unknown said...

Howie only produced 2 tracks on the Fathers Day album, I really enjoyed reading your thoughts and I can tell you olskool4real, this piece was thoroughly researched before it was published.

Peace

Anonymous said...

One other thing that I think needs to be said is that Howie is a producer in every sense of the word. There are some who are good at engineering, beat making, arranging,mix down and so on, Son does it all.Well.

Anonymous said...

Jaz, Your da man. Thanx for da hook up, what more can I say, but BIG BIG Thanx man. I'm in Orlando, FL now just chillin with the fam. I have maadd trax, but Hip-Hop is NOT the same, it's ALL about the money. When you do hip hop for the money, you make the money, But when you do hip hop for the love of hip hop, you make HISTORY (the money will come). Think About, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five did not get the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame becouse they made money.

Hollaback
Howie Tee

Olskool4real said...

First off it is great to hear from you Howie.Jaz or Howie I had a question concerning the Crah Crew 2-4-6-8 jam. Did you produce or assist with production as stated earlier? What parts did you lend to this project? Is it credited on the 12"?

alley al said...

late comment, but i just wanted to say nice work, jaz. thoro. too thoro, cuz this is like the 2nd-3rd time i've heard about 87's HEARBREAK HOTEL by LITTLE SHAWN and i'm still dying to hear it.. any pointers? even howie tee's site doesn't list it in his discography.

keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

howie t is the man! long time favorite of mine. In CD III is DJ H.T. who does cuts and keyboards...

Pottytoddy said...

Yo jaz How about re-upping that Howie-T shit. Any ideas where I can get that E.S.P ep? I had that shit back in the days

William Hernandez said...

Good Stuff! I just on touch w/ Howie Tee. I'm working on getting him for an interview.

Patrick said...

Wow.. Just found this post.

I know I'm late, but Howie Tee is the most slept on producer in hip-hop.

I was waiting for Scratch magazine to interview him. I was really disappointed when they folded before they got the chance.

Howie, you a legend to real heads!

Mr Speed said...

I just stumbled on this blog and I'm glad to see there are some who know my man Howie's place in Hip Hop history. As a member of ESP he taught me how to become a producer myself and I'm forever greatful to him.

By the way he is working on a new project.

gerniee said...

"Just call me cause that's what I'm here for!!" My dude Howie Tee!! I'm a big fan of your work!! You was a hot producer before producers were considered "hot"!!! Man, I had NO IDEA that you were part of the CDIII crew, and we used to rock the hell out of "Get Tough" and still do from time to time, seriously. I loved your work with Roxanne and Chubbs but for me, it's was "I Got It Made", "Living Like A Star", "5 Men On Da Mic", that joint with the count off with the sick drum riff through the whole track!! Oh, and I could NEVER forget "Ready To Attack!!!!!!!!" I think that was my overall favorite Howie joint for like a complete year straight!!!! Peace and Love to you man, you deserve all credit given and much much more!!!

gerniee said...

"Yooooo!!!! and you don't stop wussup yall!!!" YESSIR!! Tracks? Howie was that dude !! "How many times must I pull the trigger?" That was my favorite line in "5 Men On The Mic"

super Manslaughter said...

Yo this is incredible man!! I'm from Los Angeles but am a very deep rooted Hip Hop fan. It pisses me off that when great and greatest producers are mentioned, Hitman Howie Tee is never in the bunch. Another producer to be big-uped is Larry Smith who poineered early Run DMC tracks and the timeless hits of Whodini. Could u please do one on Larry Smith as well. Thanks from Supermanslughter@gmail.com

super Manslaughter said...

Yo this is incredible man!! I'm from Los Angeles but am a very deep rooted Hip Hop fan. It pisses me off that when great and greatest producers are mentioned, Hitman Howie Tee is never in the bunch. Another producer to be big-uped is Larry Smith who poineered early Run DMC tracks and the timeless hits of Whodini. Could u please do one on Larry Smith as well. Thanks from Supermanslughter@gmail.com

Update

Peace The JMS blog is officially closed and I won't be returning to it, it definitely had a good 11 years or so run but it just s...