Straight Outta Compton Movie-New Zealand Dates...







































I am really excited about seeing this film, I grew up on N.W.A. and actually first bought the Straight Outta Compton tape from the legendary The Soul Mine store in Kilbirnie, Wellington, New Zealand (mad props to Cool Tone as always ;)) that album was a walk-man staple for most of 1989 and I could easily recite the whole album haha...of course as a fan I was instantly zfan of all of the solo albums and I still love Eazy Duz it and the NWA and The Posse album etc, at one stage I collected everything that Dre produced (I even had the Michel'le 12"s and album haha and the first Above The Law and The D.O.C.'s albums are all time faves to me.















I have being revisiting their their music lately and it has bought back a flood of crazy memories like where the hell did both of my N.W.A. T-Shirts go and my Eazy-E and Ice Cube ones go? and that I wish I held onto my LA Raiders and LA Kings caps haha but also the fact that even though it was often misogynistic, sexist and violent, N.W.A. made really dope music and it has stood the test of time.

I fondly recall writing out the track-list and title of the next album after Straight Outta Compton and from memory it was imaginatively titled Return To Compton haha and the excitement that I felt when a old record company rep Friend (Hi Ed) bought me back a copy of Efil4zaggin back from the US and I was one of the first in the country to have the CD, needless to say I made a lot of dubs for Friends and it spread really quickly, I also premiered tracks from it on the Wednesday Nite Jam show and we had a lot of calls asking how the hell we already that album.

People that have seen the film already (which has gone straight to the top of the box office in the US) have said that the actors portray the real group really well and that is a well written film and one for the old heads and new heads to definitely see, there have been some grumbles about some omissions (Ren does not get the focus he should, Tairrie-B, Yomo and Maulkie are all missing or not talked about.

Straight Outta Compton screens nationwide on September 3rd 2015.





Special shout out to Mikey, Vicious and Big Daddy Cam aka The MVC Posse who played a lot of N.W.A. music back in the days on the Wednesday Nite Jam and introduced me to thier legendary music.


You are now about the witness the strength of Street Knowledge...

No comments:

Update

Peace The JMS blog is officially closed and I won't be returning to it, it definitely had a good 11 years or so run but it just s...